Login: Password: Remember me?

Late Kick Wins BC Premiership

Tuesday May 5, 2009 in Canada Domestic Competitions

image for this article

May 4, 2009 - An exciting game of rugby came down to the wire as Meraloma scrumhalf Eric Wilson lined up to convert a penalty with no time left on the clock in the British Columbia Premiership final Saturday.

Wilson calmly slotted the goal that gave Meralomas an 11-10 victory, halting James Bay’s run of consecutive titles at three.

"I was feeling pretty confident; it wasn't the world's most difficult kick," said Wilson. "It certainly felt good when it went over and I knew it was the last play of the game."

The Bays were first to get on the score board as Jeff Williams slotted a penalty to put his side up 3-0. With 13 minutes left in the first half, James Bay full back DTH Van der Merwe ran through for a try. Williams put away the conversion to have the Bays leading 10-0.

Meraloma found their composure and through an impressive team effort switched the field through fluid passing to see Mike Oketch touch down to make it 10-5.

The second half saw both sides gridlocked with neither team able to put points on the board.

Eric Wilson converted a penalty to narrow the lead 10-8 as time was quickly running out. After a series of penalty calls that saw the match go well into overtime, Meraloma was awarded a penalty and Thunderbird Stadium fell silent as Wilson took his time lining up the conversion inside Bay’s 22.

The kick sailed through the uprights as the stadium erupted and Meraloma managed to clinch their narrow victory to capture the 2009 Rounsefell Cup.

After the final whistle, Meraloma Coach Spencer Bromley spoke of what it meant for his side to come from behind and take the win.

"It's such a test of anyone's game to play against such a well drilled team," Bromley said of the battle against James Bay. "To be down and come back the way we did is a big thing. You can't really get much closer than that."

In the Men’s Division One League Final, James Bay took a 15-8 victory over Capilano.

The Bays quickly found their stride and notched a penalty through the boot of Kyle Laberge.

James Bay would punch in two more tries as Chris Trumpy found space down the right wing before Vince Herlaar went over for the Bays second.

Capilano would respond with a penalty kick to narrow the lead 15-3 by half time.

Just minutes into the second half, James Bay’s Connor Braid was binned for a high tackle that had the Bays shorthanded. For several phases Capilano was unable to capitalize on the advantage before Chris Robinson barreled through to make it 15-8.

That’s as close as the Caps came, however, as James Bay’s first half 15 points were enough to take the Men’s Division One League title.

- Andrew Smith


Goff on Rugby | More articles in “Domestic Competitions” | More articles in “Canada”