St. Pierre Leads All Americans Against Stellenbosch
Thursday Jul 30, 2009 in Elite Level Rugby National Teams
(BYU skipper Steve St. Pierre captains the All Americans on game day. Michael Burns photo)
Cape Town, South Africa - The 2009 Collegiate All-American Team will begin its three-test tour of South Africa on Friday, July 31, as they take on the renowned university side Stellenbosch Markotters.
After one week of preparation and travel the All-Americans are ready to finally step on to the field for their first test.
Match-day captain Steve St. Pierre, who joined the team after his tour with the USA Sevens Team at the World Games, feels his team is ready to play some rugby.
“The guys have had a busy schedule getting ready for these matches,” St. Pierre said. “We’ve been working hard and you can tell the guys are ready to get after it. I know we’re all looking forward to playing some good rugby.”
Lineouts and forwards coach Luke Gross shared the captain’s sentiment.
“I can’t wait to see the boys play,” Gross said. “They’ve been working really hard and I’m looking forward to seeing how they’ve developed as players when they step on the field tomorrow.”
Kickoff is set for 5 p.m. local time at the Danie Craven Stadium on the campus of Stellenbosch.
The Markotters are one of Stellenbosch’s many talented teams and are respected for playing touring international university sides such as Oxford, Cambridge and others.
Not available for selection because of injury were, Peter Tiberio, who did not travel with the team to South Africa. Colin Hawley, Ryan Harris and Joey Brown are also unavailable for this game, but will likely recover and be available for selection before the tour is concluded.
Live scoring and match updates will be available on www.twitter.com/aarugby.
Team to face the Stellenbosch Markotters:
- Mike Su’a (Brigham Young University)
- Eric Barrett (Central Michigan University)
- Ross Silverman (University of California-Santa Barbara)
- Cameron Dolan (Life University)
- Tom Katzfey (St. Norbert College)
- Steve St. Pierre (Captain) (Brigham Young University )
- Rich Herbert (University of Cal-Poly SLO)
- Roland Evans (Arkansas State University)
- Benny Mateialona (Life University)
- Keegan Englebrecht (California)
- Dustin Muhn (California)
- Hunter Leland (Texas A&M)
- Duncan Kelm (San Diego State University)
- Alex Ross (San Diego State University)
- Blaine Scully (California)
- Nardus Vessels (Arkansas State University)
- Mike Shepherd (Indiana University)
- Casey Rock (Texas A&M)
- Paul Bester (Life University)
- Chad Clark (St. Mary’s College)
- Dylan Lubbe (Brigham Young University)
- Kyle Grossheider (Life University)
Lead supporters of the 2009 All-American team are:
Presenting: USA Sevens, LLC
Eagle Level: Royall Lyme, Lucky Tiger, United States Rugby Football Foundation
Hawk Level: Life University, Old Blue RFC, San Francisco Golden Gate RFC, Old Puget Sound RFC, Mystic Rugby, Old Mission Beach Athletic Club Rugby, Charlotte RFC, Olympic Club Rugby, New York Athletic Club Rugby
Goff on Rugby | More articles in “National Teams” | More articles in “Elite Level Rugby”